OAG Privacy Notice - Protected Health Information
Protected Health Information (PHI), as that term is defined by state and federal law, includes individually identifiable health information received by a covered entity that relates to the past, present, or future physical or mental health or condition of an individual; the provision of health care to an individual; or the past, present, or future payment for the provision of health care to an individual.
To the extent the Office of the Attorney General (OAG) receives your PHI, the OAG will not use, or disclose such information except as permitted or required by state and federal law. The OAG is generally permitted or required to use or disclose PHI in the following contexts:
- In disclosure to another covered entity for the purposes of, e.g.:
- Health care operations.
- Public health activities, including but not limited to:
- Reporting incidents of abuse or neglect.
- Workers' compensation purposes.
- Health oversight audits or inspections.
- Law enforcement, including but not limited to:
- In response to a court order or other legal process.
- In relation to a criminal investigation or prosecution.
- About the victim of a crime under restricted circumstances.
- About a death that may be the result of criminal conduct.
- In circumstances relating to reporting information about a crime.
- Lawsuits and disputes, including but not limited to:
- In the course of a judicial or administrative proceeding.
- In the context of litigation, where the OAG represents the State or a state agency.
- Specific government functions in which disclosure is authorized.
The OAG may be required in some circumstances to obtain a separate authorization from you or your authorized representative, including but not limited to, circumstances in which the electronic disclosure of your PHI is necessary for purposes other than those described above. If you have questions about this policy or believe that we have acted in violation of this policy, please contact us at email@example.com or write or call us at:
Office of the Attorney General
Public Information & Assistance Division, MC-027
P.O. Box 12548
Austin, TX 78711-2548
Tele: (512) 463-2007 or (800) 252-8011