Military and veteran families face unique challenges when it comes to child support and parenting. The HEROES program is here to help.
If you are a service member, you know the nature of your job can complicate your child support case.
To provide assistance, the Child Support Division developed the Help Establishing Responsive Orders and Ensuring Support (HEROES) for Children in Military Families program. The HEROES program partners military families with specialized attorneys to work through their child support needs.
How Can the HEROES Program Help Me?
- Specialized case review and management
- Personalized assistance with paternity establishment and child support
- Help in cases where military-related injuries have made you unable to follow a court order
- Resources to learn how to best parent together in unique circumstance
Need to speak with a HEROES team member?
HEROES project coordination is based in Austin with HEROES Assistant Attorneys General serving the San Antonio, Temple/Killeen and El Paso/Fort Bliss areas. HEROES Assistant Attorneys General represent the State of Texas. They cannot and do not represent child support customers. If you are a service member and need an attorney to represent you, contact a private attorney or Legal Assistance through the JAG.
The HEROES team works closely with the following organizations:
- Judge Advocate General Corps (JAG)
- Family Readiness Group
- Veterans Integrated Service Network (VISN)
- Texas Veterans Leadership Program (TVLP)
- Texas Yellow Ribbon
- Child support and legal services programs across the United States and internationally
Resources for Military Families
Are you about to deploy or are you returning from deployment? Check out the Military Parents: Paternity, Child Support, Custody & Parenting Time brochure. It includes checklists with steps to take to ensure that your child’s needs for financial, medical, and emotional support are met before, during and after deployment.
Learn about the benefits and services available to you through your local Veterans Affairs office.