This is a list of signs or “red flags” that might indicate that sex trafficking is occurring.
- Person seems overly fearful, submissive, tense, or paranoid.
- Person is deferring to another person before giving information.
- Person has physical injuries or branding such as name tattoos on face or chest, tattoos about money and sex, or pimp phrases.
- Clothing is inappropriately sexual or inappropriate for weather.
- Minor is unaccompanied at night or falters in giving an explanation of who they are with and what they are doing.
- Identification documents are held by another.
- Person works long or excessive hours or is always available “on demand.”
- Overly sexual for age or situation.
- Multiple phones or social media accounts.
- Signs of unusual wealth without explanation—new jewelry, shoes, phones without any known form of income.
- Person lives in a “massage” business or is not free to come and go.
Red Flags for Sex Trafficking (Poster)